How to cook Halibut! The “Bung-It-In” Roasting method
You will need:
From Our Shop
750g of Halibut Steak
1. Bung the oven on at about 220˚C (fan assisted electric temp.) and let it warm up to temperature – no cheating.
2. Whilst the oven is doing its thing – take a baking tray and line the bottom with cooking foil.
3. Place the halibut steaks on the foil.
4. Season with sea salt and pepper (fresh ground if possible) and anything else you fancy eg. dill, tarragon, coriander, chives etc. Not all at once, obviously! No need to add them at all if you don’t want to.
5. Drizzle with olive oil (no cheating and using cheap cooking oil – not worth it) – quantity up to you but don’t be mean with it.
6. Bung in the oven for NO MORE THAN 20 minutes – bit less is okay. Don’t cover the fish with anything otherwise the roasting method turns into the soggy steamed fish method!
7. Take out of oven.
8. Ease the fish steaks away from the bone – they come away cleanly – and serve.
This method of roasting means that if you wish to add a marinade or sauce you have to do it afterwards, not before, cooking. However, the fish tastes great just as it is.